Thursday, June 26, 2014

Alt Summit...

I have heard about Alt Summit for the last couple years.  Each year in January my instagram feed is flooded with pictures of my favorite bloggers, shop owners and brands gathering at the Grand America.  This year, they decided to add in a summer edition- and when one of my girlfriends had an extra ticket, I jumped at the chance to join in on the fun.

I started Tuesday night with the prettiest dinner with Small Fry Blog and Honest Company.  It was the kickoff to my three day talk fest.  We chatted and laughed and I think I could have stayed for 3 more hours.  We went back to the hotel and stayed up till 3 hanging out, I felt like I was back in college!  Wednesday night we filled the room with 15 or so girls and talked and talked.  The topics ranged, but it was great and inspiring and so, so tiring!  The girls were so fun...seriously, there are a lot of amazing women in this world!

I loved being able to pick out which classes to attend.  If you have a blog you understand that the business aspect is pretty important...I've always struggled a bit with it!  Pinterest, Instagram, working with brands, networking, it's amazing what there is to learn!  Joy Cho, from the blog Oh Joy! spoke, and it was incredible.  Hearing how she started and where she draws inspiration from was so interesting.  Martha Stewart spoke as well, talk about determination and business savvy!  Alt came at a perfect time for me.  I was feeling torn with my blog.  What direction was I going in...what are my goals for my blog...is it worth it...and so many more questions.  I've spent the last week making lots of notes, rehashing concerns and insecurities with Matthew and feel like I've come to a great place.  I've always been pretty aware of my shortcomings, in general and with blogging...but finding ways to overcome them feels empowering.

I came away from Alt feeling so inspired.  I was able to focus in on why I chose to begin blogging and why it's been important.  Surrounding myself with successful, creative and driven women (and a few men!) helped me to see how I can improve.  Wisdom was passed on, judgement was withheld, leaving me feeling proud of what I've built so far.  I felt in tune with my passions and excited to dedicate more of myself to my spot on the internet.  I love having somewhere that I can write (and figuring out how to get back to more of that!), express myself, find ways to be creative and keepsake memories of our family.  I've had to prioritize and figure out what's important.  It's easy to fall in line with everyone else, but finding and creating something that is truly my own means a lot to me.  You'll see some of the same, but a little more writing and real life.

I've spent the last week making lots of notes, rehashing concerns and insecurities with Matthew and feel like I've come to a great place.  I've always been pretty aware of my shortcomings, in general and with blogging...but finding ways to overcome them feels empowering.

I've snagged some pictures from the Alt Summit Flickr page, Justin Hackworth ran around photographing the whole event and did such a great job!

Rebecca Taylor dress (60% off!) | McGinn blazer | gold heels (similar)







 green printed pants (similar) | white top | denim jacket | nude wedges (so comfy!)





j. crew dress | zara heels (old, similar here) | earrings | bracelet



4 comments:

  1. I just wanted to tell you that I have been reading your blog for over a year now and you have one of my favorites! I mean that. Keep up the good work and know that someone out there looks forward to new posts, ME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a fun time!! Love your blog! I agree with having real life posts! It's what keeps your blog unique

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have loved your blog for such a long time and find a lot of inspiration from it. I have two toddlers (and a 3rd baby on the way) and what you do in your real life is similar to mine in some way and I feel like "I know you" in that sense. I don't want to go to blogs that are "cool" but leave thinking "that was a fun idea but where does that fit into my SAHM life"??? Thank you for having a great little spot on the internet that is fun, festive and inspirational!

    ReplyDelete