Thursday, October 17, 2013

date night...


after our little flu bug i spent the last day cleaning, doing laundry and organizing our house.  i'm going to bed with a tidy, clean house and loads of laundry put away.  while this is probably a norm for most people, i'm celebrating this long overdue milestone!  we have birthdays coming up next week (matthew and i are only 3 days apart) and lots of fall activities scheduled, it feels so nice to have a clean slate at home!

along with a clean house i've finally given into matthew's pleading and started using my calendar on my phone and computer.  i was dragging my heels and even just bought a day planner, but after two hours on the couch and multiple questions about how many different colors i can add to my calendar, i'm all set up and i'm loving it- and matthew is still gloating.  as i get adjusted to a life more scheduled (my free spirit self is still cringing) i'm looking at all fronts and figuring out how i can streamline my life.  i'm wanting to have guilt free time concentrating on what is important and cut out the stuff that just wastes time.  i've been feeling a little tired and worn out and i've been avoiding the inevitable.  a couple years ago i found out i have ulcers...and not just one or two, but a whole group of them and they were large and out of control.  after figuring out where they were coming from (ibuprofen has since been removed from my life) i knew i needed some change.  our lives had been more than a little crazy and the stress of two young babies, living in nyc, austin and utah in one year plus supporting a husband with an intense work ethic left me feeling exhausted...however, that stress wasn't just going to disappear (we like our life to be a little crazy!) and i knew i'd need to adjust how i take care of myself.  a lot, or probably the majority, of dealing with ulcers is diet.  coffee and alcohol aren't a problem for me, but diet coke, that's my weakness...and also exactly what my doctor told me i needed to cut out.  there are times it seems i have an iv hooked up and before i know it, it's 4pm and i've had 3, or 4, or maybe 5 (my mom is going to kill me!) and by bedtime i'm wincing as i lie down.  so, i've spent the last week or so trying to limit the diet coke in addition to cutting out a lot of the food that seems to make everything flare up.  i'm still in the midst of caffeine headaches and some sugar cravings, but i'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!  

this was a date night look perfect for fall.  my mom picked it up for me in new york city and mailed it, along with two very realistic looking mouse puppets for the girls (they've taken them everywhere!).  it was warm enough out to not need a jacket during our walk.  i have been wearing booties so often i pulled my tall boots out and loved them with a dress.  i feel like this dress is so versatile for fall and winter...i can't wait to pair it with a leather jacket (i'm thinking this one), tights, a denim jacket, this chunky sweater or maybe a trench coat.  i may have also snagged this pair of madewell flats from my mom's closet in california this weekend, it'll add the perfect casual touch to the dress!

anthropologie dress || boots (similar here + here + here) || scarf || watch || bracelets here + here ||

and below are some other great dress options for fall and winter at all different price points- perfect for boots, tights and a jacket!









4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the ulcers Lindsey! They hurt terribly. But you're doing the right thing with your diet. So much of what ails us can be addressed through dietary changes, but often, those changes include omitting the treats we love most! You'll feel better once you've officially moved past the cravings. I promise! I did the same thing with refined sugar, totally struggled with the in-between period, but I feel amazing now!! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carli! I've totally struggled this last week- what did you do to get over the cravings?! And I'm dying over your kitchen pictures and all your choices! It is going to be amazing!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that you do date night! My husband and I do that every Friday night :) it is the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! Thank you so much. I love date night and know how great it is for our relationship! Thanks so much for reading:)

      Delete